Saturday, May 29, 2010

My first post from this side of the Pacific

After much nagging from Alaina and Karen, I've finally gotten my act together and decided to post an entry to the blog. I hope those that are following are enjoying the photos and commentaries from our trip.

First, my take on Tokyo, then a little on Taipei, and finally I'll talk about where we're headed next.

Tokyo was great! I loved all of the sushi (well shashimi, it was actually very hard to find a traditional sushi roll...). I also loved going to the hot springs in the middle of the city. That was a great way to spend our first day in Japan (it was rainy and we were all sore and tired from the long journey). One of my goals with Tokyo was to get a pair of Japan made jeans. Some of the best denim in the world is made in Japan. If your a jeans connoisseur like I am then this was the place to add to the collection. I ended up deciding on getting a pair of Pure Blue Japan jeans, they fit great, although they need to be washed. They are "raw" denim so they are a little stiffer than I would like...

Aside from my denim adventure in Tokyo my other top experience was going to Odiaba Island. I was able to get a fantastic cheese-burger and also go to the Toyota showroom.

After our four days in Tokyo it was off to Taipei on EVA Airlines...flying from NRT-TPE made me wonder why Delta (or any other US domestic carrier) doesn't step up its game. This 3 hr flight had personal TVs at each seat, a full meal (with free wine and beer!), and friendly flight attendants. Flying in the US is pathetic compared to this experience...

Taipei is an interesting city, it is much more representative of Asia that Tokyo. Its a little dirtier, the people are a little more genuine, and well there is a lot more to buy off of the street! Taipei 101 provided excellent views of the city, and was just an overall cool experience. Being the 2nd highest building in the world, made it a must do on our Taipei list. Another highlight of our
Taipei experience are the night markets. This city comes alive late at night! At any one of the nightly, night markets one can find a variety of food, cheap goods, and just a great atmosphere that is uniquely Taiwanese. I can't exactly tell you what I ate, but I can say that it was excellent and thus far I my stomach is fine...

Tomorrow/ later today we may be either visiting a tea plantation or relaxing in the hot springs close to the city center.

Monday we're off to Malaysia!

No comments:

Post a Comment